Dog Bite Injury Attorneys in Indiana
Helping Those Who Were Hurt by a Someone Else’s Animal
Dog bite injuries are no joke. Any bite, no matter how severe, can result in an infection that can require expensive antibiotics to remediate. More vicious attacks can result in severe bleeding, often requiring stitches or even surgery to repair. In extreme cases, dog bites can even kill people – especially in incidents involving children or the elderly, who may not be able to defend themselves.
If you or a loved one was injured because of a dog bite, we at Hayes Law Office understand this can be an extremely troubling time. You may be dealing with new medical or therapy bills as a result of your injuries. You may have experienced a loss of income because of your hospital visit or recovery period. Our dog bite injury attorneys in Indiana can help you recover legal remedies from the party responsible for what happened.
Learn more about our legal services and how we can help you fight for what you deserve after you were attacked by someone else’s dog. Schedule a consultation by contacting us online or by calling (317) 759-1515.
What Should I Do after I’ve Been Bitten by a Dog?
As with many incidents that result in injury, it can be confusing to know what to do after a dog bite attack. Your fight-or-flight reaction has kicked in, pumping your body with adrenaline and making it hard to think clearly.
Despite this, it’s very important that you try to accomplish all of the following, in order:
- Seek immediate medical attention.
- Contact the police – even if the dog is now under control, it’s important to get a police report as evidence that the attack took place.
- Get the dog owner’s name, contact information, and address. This information may also be included as part of the police report.
- Do NOT discuss or debate what happened with the dog owner. Don’t say anything that can make it seem like you spooked or provoked the animal. Never discuss your injuries with the dog owner or say anything along the lines of “it’s not as bad as it looks” or “I don’t think I’m hurt.”
- If there are witnesses to the dog attack, get their names, addresses, and contact information as well, but do not discuss what happened with them either.
- Take photographs of your injuries as soon as possible. Consider creating a contemporary photographic record that documents how swelling or bleeding progressed.
- Reach out to a dog bite injury attorney in Indiana for help. Someone like any of our lawyers at Hayes Law Office can help you fight for legal remedies that can include fair and just compensation for bills or lost income associated with your injuries.
Who Is Responsible for a Dog Bite Injury?
According to Indiana law, liability for a dog bite injury falls on the owner’s shoulders when their dog, without provocation, bites a person who is peacefully conducting themselves. In other words, if you were bit by a dog without warning while minding your own business, you may have a good case for pursuing damages against the dog owner.
That said, Indiana courts often abide by the “one-bite” rule for dog bite cases. This rule can relieve a dog owner of liability for the attack if he or she can sufficiently demonstrate that they did not know that the animal would act aggressively or be otherwise likely to bite.
Plaintiffs suing dog owners can counter these claims by presenting evidence that they knew that the dog bit someone in the past or was likely to act aggressively toward people. Evidence can amount to prior recorded incidents or something the owner did or said leading up to the dog bite that indicated they were aware of their dog’s aggressive tendencies.
Reach out to Our Dog Bite Injury Attorneys in Indiana
If you were injured as a result of a dog bite, don’t wait to speak with an attorney about what happened. In Indiana, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years from the date of the incident. This means you have a limited time to file your complaint to seek damages and other legal remedies from the party responsible for what occurred.
BEST LAWYER IN INDIANAPOLIS!!!!- Beatrice B.
Couldn't have asked for a better attorney!- Chris C.
I decided to give Mr.Hayes a call and it was 10/10 the best decision I could have made.- Cole H.
He was completely transparent from the beginning and I never felt like I was left in the dark.- Codi B.
He is the best!- Jen F.