Indianapolis Firearm Defense Attorneys
Experienced Lawyers Serving Indiana
. Indiana law enforcement and prosecutors are committed to pursuing and charging the maximum penalties for the illegal possession or use of firearms. When faced with firearm charges, it is critical that a reliable and skilled criminal defense attorney is familiar with the most current Indiana gun laws.
Lead Attorney Philip Hayes has more than 18 years of experience handling complex criminal matters throughout Indiana, including gun and weapon charges.
To request a free case evaluation, contact the firm today at 317-982-6122.
Common Firearm Charges In Indiana
Although Indiana has some of the least strict gun laws in the United States, there are still regulations regarding buying, possessing and carrying a firearm. Any adult in the state can carry guns on their own property and another person’s private property, if given permission from the property owner. You can have a firearm in your vehicle if it is not loaded, in a secure case, and not readily available.
The following are the most common firearm charges in Indiana:
- Unlawful possession of a firearm (Class A misdemeanor)
- Possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon (Level 4 felony)
- Brandishing or pointing a gun at another person (Class A misdemeanor)
- Carrying a firearm on school grounds (Level 6 felony)
- Giving false information to buy a gun or obtain a gun license (Level 5 felony)
- Altering or removing the identifying marks of a firearm (Level 5 felony)
- Possessing an illegal weapon, such as a machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, or chemical or biological weapons (Level 4 felony)
Let Hayes Law Office Help You Today
Possessing a handgun without a license is a serious crime that can result in jail time and sometimes federal gun charges. Both prosecutors and police take a case more seriously if a gun or firearm was present. This can be the same case if a gun or firearm is used during the commission of a crime. Because these crimes can hold such severe penalties, it is wise to hire a defense attorney who has experience and up to date knowledge in regard to these types of cases.
Contact the firm today to learn about your legal options.